If you haven’t used a handyman before, you may be wondering what handymen do and what kinds of services they offer.
Let’s look at some of the most common questions about the handyman business.
What is a handyman?
A professional handyman is a person who has expertise in a wide variety of small home repair jobs around the house.
The Google Dictionary defines the term this way: A person able or employed to do occasional domestic repairs and minor renovations.
Essentially, someone who provides this type of service can take care of your honey-do list around the house, like repairing or installing doors and windows. They can also handle small jobs like painting touchups, carpentry repair, and drywall repair. They can do light plumbing and electrical work, as well.
You can think of a handyman as similar to a family doctor. They can help you with a wide variety of things. But if there are very complicated situations, they will give you a referral to a general contractor or a specialized, licensed professional like a plumber, electrician, or roofer.
Why do people hire a handyman?
There are a variety of reasons why people may choose to hire a professional handyman. Some busy adults might be able to handle these home repair jobs but just don’t have the time.
Other people might not have the experience or tools needed to take care of their honey-do list. And for others, mobility, illness, or other health issues may make it impossible for them to handle their home maintenance list.
What kinds of jobs would a handyman typically do?
This can vary from one handyman service to another, depending on experience and training. Services often include things like:
- Fan installation
- Ceiling fan installation
- Light fixture installation
- Wood trim repair
- Interior trim repair
- Molding repair
- Wood stairs repair
- Railing repair
- Gazebo repair
- Deck repair
- Disability ramp repair
- Mounting bracket installation for a TV
- Porch repair
- Door sweep repair
- Door repair
- Door installation (interior or exterior)
- Drywall repair
- Mirror installation
- Weatherstripping installation
- Multiple small projects
- Some landscaping
- Paint or stain for small projects
- Sunroom repair
- Patio enclosure repair
- Patio repair
- Exterior trim repair
- Window installation
- Window repair
- Replacement window installation
- Window covering installation (blinds, shades, curtain rods)
- Appliance installation
- Bathroom or kitchen fixture installation
- Small plumbing jobs – fix a leaking toilet or faucet
- Unclog a toilet or drain
- Garbage disposal replacement
- Small carpentry jobs
- Air filter replacements
- Pressure washing services
- Shelving installation
- Picture hanging
- Changing out doorknobs
- Replace cabinet hardware or hinges
- Lightbulb replacement
- Repair or installation of an electrical outlet
What types of work does a handyman NOT do?
A handyman is not usually a licensed plumber, licensed electrician, or roofer. They are also not generally professional painters for large scale painting projects.
For larger projects or very specialized projects, you may need to involve a licensed professional who is skilled in that specific area.
Some jobs handymen probably wouldn’t do:
- Moving or replacing a water or sewer line.
- Moving or replacing an electric line.
- Major plumbing work.
- Major electrical work.
- Building a new deck.
- Painting the entire inside or outside of the house.
- Building new custom cabinets for the entire kitchen.
- Tearing out a shower floor, fixing the joists and subfloor, redoing the plumbing, and re-tiling the shower.
- Major renovation projects.
- Building a new house.
- Repairing major termite damage under the house.
- Replacing an HVAC unit.
- Replacing 16 foot columns on the front porch.
For these kinds of significant jobs, a handyman can usually refer you to a trusted professional who is licensed and qualified to handle the particular speciality.
A good handyman is a
Calling a handyman near you is a wonderful option for minor repairs like small plumbing jobs, carpentry repairs, and electrical services.
Hiring a handyman frees up your time so that you can focus on more important things in life, and, at the same time, your honey-do list of home repairs gets taken care of so that your family can enjoy having a beautiful, well-maintained home where everything is working properly.
But at the same time, you don’t have to involve a more expensive contractor who usually only handles bigger jobs.
The best handyman fits in a perfect niche between things you can and want to do yourself vs. a contractor or other professional who is better suited for larger jobs around the home.
A handyman saves you:
What are the most common handyman requests?
Some of the most common repairs needed include things like:
- Patching and painting drywall where a doorknob went through
- Installing a door
- Unclogging a toilet or drain
- Installing light fixtures, bathroom fans, or ceiling fans
- Painting touch-ups
- Changing out hardware on doors or cabinets
- Fixing rotten boards on wooden stairs or decks
- Mounting a TV on a wall
- Lightbulb replacement
- Hanging pictures or mirrors
Are you looking for a reputable handyman in Columbia, SC?
We’d love to save you time, frustration, and stress by helping you knock out your honey-do list—handyman business is our thing!
Let us help take care of small jobs around your house so that you can enjoy your home again. Why spend all your free weekends on boring house projects when you have a local handyman who can take care of that stress and aggravation for you?
Then you will have time for things that are more important in life—like your family, friends, relationships, and the things that matter most to you.
Contact us today!
We are your convenient handyman company in the greater Columbia metro area of the Midlands in South Carolina—ready to serve your needs.
Our service area includes:
Lexington, Irmo, Columbia, Forest Acres, Cayce, and West Columbia.