The list of possible things we all should be doing for proper maintenance of our homes can get pretty overwhelming when it is added on top of everything else we have going on.
Sometimes, it’s just so easy to forget about all the little things we are supposed to do to take good care of our homes.
But when we think about the fact that our home is usually our largest investment and we think about some of the possible consequences of not doing proper maintenance, we may decide it is worth it to get on our maintenance list quickly.
All of these routine maintenance tasks are important. But they are important in different ways.
Monthly home maintenance checklist
- Clean the part of the faucet where the water comes out and your showerheads.
- Inspect electrical cords for fraying. Unplug and replace damaged items.
- Inspect power surge strips for excessive heat, black soot spots on or around them, electrical arcing, or the smell of something melting or burning. Unplug them if there seems to be a problem and replace them with new power surge strips.
- Vacuum AC vents and heat registers.
- Make sure no air vents are covered or blocked.
- Clean the garbage disposal.
- Drain your hot water heater (if it is not tankless)
Quarterly home maintenance checklist
- Check the water softener and add salt if needed.
- Test smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors and consider replacing the batteries, if appropriate.
- Run a bit of water through unused sinks, tubs, and showers and flush an unused toilet to keep the water from collecting dirt and buildup.
- Change your HVAC filters (change more frequently if your home accumulates a lot of dust or you have furry pets.)
- Clean your kitchen exhaust hood filter.
Bi-Annual home maintenance checklist
- Clean the gutters.
- Replace the filter on your refrigerator water line.
- Inspect the roof for missing shingles or damage.
- Test the water heater’s pressure relief valve and replace the valve if needed.
- Vacuum the refrigerator coils.
- Check the exterior of your home for chipping paint, rotten wood, damaged siding, and other wear and tear and repair it.
- Make sure trees are not touching electrical lines.
- Trim bushes and hedges back several feet away from the house and from your air conditioner or heat pump unit.
- Check power lines coming into the house for damage from squirrels.
- Check for any plumbing leaks around the house and look for water damage inside, as well as under the house if you have a crawl space.
- Clean the dryer vent.
- Test the sump pump, if you have one, to prevent a flood.
- Have your HVAC winterized in fall and prepare it for summer in spring. You may consider having it professionally serviced during those times.
- Check the caulking around doors, windows, tubs, and bathrooms.
- Check for mold growth in the kitchen and bathrooms and around windows.
Annual home maintenance checklist
- Test outlets to be sure they work.
- Tighten any loose hardware on doors or cabinets.
- Check for mold in the basement.
- Look for cracks in the driveway that need to be addressed
When you keep up with home maintenance, it saves you money, stress, and drama. It’s a lot easier to repair a small problem right away than to let it fester and go un-repaired for months or years until it becomes a major expense.
But here’s the great news! You don’t necessarily have to do all of the things on this daunting list yourself!
Why not hire a handyman to help you with many of the routine maintenance list items on your honey-do list?
After all, your time and peace of mind are priceless.
Are you looking for a handyman near you?
We’d love to save you time, frustration, and stress by helping you knock out your honey-do list—the handyman business is our thing!
Let us help take care of small jobs around your house, including many regular home maintenance tasks so that you can enjoy your home again. Why spend all your free weekends on boring home maintenance when you have a local handyman service who can take care of that stress for you?
Then you will have time for things that are more important in life.
We are your convenient handyman company in the greater Columbia metro area of the Midlands in South Carolina—ready to serve your needs.
Our service area includes:
Lexington, Irmo, Columbia, Forest Acres, Cayce, and West Columbia.