Window treatments aren’t just about matching your decor. They provide a number of important services for you and your family. They help you control natural light that comes into your home, they add beauty, they provide privacy, and they help to regulate your heating and cooling expenses.
4 benefits of window treatments
1. Optimize natural light
Medical researchers now know that there are many benefits for people being exposed to plenty of natural light and sunlight each day. In fact, there are mental health benefits and physical health benefits that come when we enjoy being exposed to the outside world through our windows.
Benefits of natural light for mental health:
- Boosts mood and serotonin levels
- Combats seasonal depression
- Increases productivity
- Improves focus
- Improves memory recall and test performance
Benefits of natural light for physical health:
- Helps to regulate sleep
- Increases vitamin D (lowers osteoporosis risk, heart disease risk, cancer risk, and weight gain)
- Helps to lower blood pressure
- Improves the immune system
- Reduces adverse effects from fluorescent lights
- Greater energy
When you are choosing window coverings, it is important to consider how you can optimize the natural light in your home (or office) so that everyone can benefit from direct and indirect sunlight.
2. Add beauty
The human mind is attracted to beauty and when we believe we are in beautiful surroundings, we feel better. More alive. Happier. More at peace.
Benefits of a beautiful home environment:
- Energizes us
- Boosts our mood
- Boosts our immune system
- Lowers our stress level
3. Improve privacy and security
The benefits of natural light make it tempting to have no window treatments at all. And there may be some homes that are in rural areas surrounded by woods where this could be possible. But most homes in the suburbs or cities will need some level of privacy for windows—especially for bathrooms and bedrooms, but also for other rooms, as well.
Benefits of privacy:
- Safety—you may not want people to be able to tell if you are home and where you are in the house
- Security—you don’t want to advertise valuables in your home to potential thieves
- Concealment—bathroom and bedroom windows especially need some ability to provide screening from outside eyes
- Block outside light—with blackout curtains
- energy efficient
- prevent glares
- Improve morning or daytime sleep
- reduce noise from outside
4. Increase energy efficiency
The right window treatment acts as a good insulator. It keeps the heat out in the summer and the cold out in the winter which will help you save significant money on your heating and cooling bills.
Benefits of energy efficiency
- Your home stays a more comfortable temperature with less strain on your HVAC unit
- Your electricity bills are lower
- Your HVAC unit lasts longer
What if you can’t install new blinds or curtains yourself?
A trusted local handyman can help with almost any project around the house that requires using tools!
If you are worried about getting up on a ladder, or you don’t have the tools or experience, or you just don’t have the time, it’s okay. A handyman company can take care of just about anything regarding window coverings like installing:
- Curtain rods
- Drapery rods
- Window shades
- Roman shades
- Roller shades
- Vertical blinds
- Privacy window film
- UV blocking window film
- Other window treatments for privacy
If you need help choosing what type of window treatment and decor to use for your home, you may want to also involve an interior designer.
If you also want to install new windows or make some other home improvements, the best handyman companies can help with that, as well!
A handyman service can also install wall and ceiling-mounted items for you:
- An indoor swing seat
- A porch swing
- And more!
Let us help with your window needs & natural light solutions.
We’d love to help you install new window treatments to improve the appearance, privacy, and mood-boosting power of natural light in your home.
Please contact us today for help with hanging curtains, blinds, or shutters!
Backyard Recreational Ideas for Your Family
Must-Have Outdoor Lighting for Entertaining
Home Safety Tips to Protect Your Family
References and Resources
The Health Benefits of Natural Light by www.healthline.com
The Effects of Exposure to Natural Light in the Workplace on the Health and Productivity of Office Workers… by www.journals.llw.com
The Health Benefits of Beautiful Design by www.chrisbrownstudios.com
How You Can Create a Healing Environment at Home by the University of Minnesota
Consider Blackout Curtains to Save Energy and Control Light and Noise by www.howstuffworks.com