The right curtains, drapes, or blinds can make a world of difference in how a room feels. This one little change makes the room look completely different, of course. But window treatments offer a lot of other benefits, as well.
4 benefits of proper window treatments
- The best use of natural light
- Aesthetics and beauty
- Privacy and security
- Energy efficiency
Each of these benefits is valuable for you and your family.
1. Natural light
Medical researchers now know that there are many benefits for people being exposed to plenty of natural light and sunlight each day. In fact, there are mental health benefits and physical health benefits that come when we enjoy being exposed to the outside world through our windows.
Benefits of natural light for mental health:
- Boosts mood and serotonin levels
- Combats seasonal depression
- Increases productivity
- Improves focus
- Improves memory recall and test performance
Benefits of natural light for physical health:
- Helps to regulate sleep
- Increases vitamin D (lowers osteoporosis risk, heart disease risk, cancer risk, and weight gain)
- Helps to lower blood pressure
- Improves the immune system
- Reduces adverse effects from fluorescent lights
- Greater energy
When you are choosing window coverings, it is important to consider how you can optimize the natural light in your home (or office) so that everyone can benefit from direct and indirect sunlight.
We don’t think about beauty being a benefit. But it really is! The human mind is attracted to beauty and when we believe we are in beautiful surroundings, we feel better. More alive. Happier. More at peace.
Benefits of a beautiful home environment:
- Energizes us
- Boosts our mood
- Boosts our immune system
- Lowers our stress level
3. Privacy and security
The benefits of natural light make it tempting to have no window treatments at all. And there may be some homes that are in rural areas surrounded by woods where this could be possible. But most homes in the suburbs or cities will need some level of privacy for windows—especially for bathrooms and bedrooms, but also for other rooms, as well.
Benefits of privacy:
- Safety—you may not want people to be able to tell if you are home and where you are in the house
- Security—you don’t want to advertise valuables in your home to potential thieves
- Concealment—bathroom and bedroom windows especially need some ability to provide screening from outside eyes
- Block outside light—with blackout curtains
- energy efficient
- prevent glares
- Improve morning or daytime sleep
- reduce noise from outside
4. Energy efficiency
The right window treatment can keep the heat out in the summer and the cold out in the winter which will help you save significant money on your heating and cooling bills.
Benefits of energy efficiency
- Your home stays a more comfortable temperature with less strain on your HVAC unit
- Your electricity bills are lower
- Your HVAC unit lasts longer
What if you can’t install new blinds or curtains yourself?
A trusted local handyman can help with almost any project around the house that requires using tools!
If you are worried about getting up on a ladder, or you don’t have the tools or experience, or you just don’t have the time, it’s okay. A handyman company can take care of just about anything regarding window coverings like installing:
- Curtain rods
- Drapery rods
- Roller shades
- Privacy window film
- UV blocking window film
- Other window treatments for privacy
And if you also want to install new windows or make some other home improvements, the best handyman companies can help with that, as well!
A handyman service can also install wall and ceiling-mounted items for you:
- An indoor swing seat
- A porch swing
- And more!
Are you looking for a handyman near you?
We are a general handyman service ready to help you with installing window treatments and other small home repairs on your honey-do list.
Our top priority is your health and safety, so we are following the CDC and OSHA guidelines for COVID-19.
We can also help with lots of other small projects like:
- Installing doors or windows
- Installing faucets
- Fixing a leaky toilet
- Repairing or replacing a light switch
- Hanging pictures or mirrors
- Deck repair
- Paint touch-ups
- Door-knob installation
- Cabinet hardware replacement or installation
- Installing a ceiling fan
- Installing a bathroom fan
- And much more!
We can help you with maintenance and repair types of work around your home. We are licensed, and insured and ready to be your family’s handyman service.
Let us help make your home look its best so you don’t have to be embarrassed to have people come over anymore!
Our service area in South Carolina includes many parts of the Midlands:
Lexington, Irmo, Columbia, Forest Acres, Cayce, and West Columbia.
REFERENCES AND RESOURCES
How You Can Create a Healing Environment at Home by the University of Minnesota
Consider Blackout Curtains to Save Energy and Control Light and Noise by www.howstuffworks.com