Your home is your sanctuary. It is supposed to be the place where you and your loved ones are always safe. It’s wise to think about protecting your family and your property from potential thieves and predators. And with the uncertainty in the world, this is a great time to do a security checkup.
Having a good security plan to protect your home and loved ones can give you a whole lot of peace of mind.
Home Security Quiz
(Read the question then hover over it to flip to see how you did.)
12 Steps to Improve Your Home’s Security Measures
Here are some practical, low-cost ways you can make your home a safer place for your family.
- Install deadbolt locks on all entry doors.
- Add additional security to windows and door glass, if needed.
- Trim or remove thick bushes that are close to your house.
- Keep curtains or blinds drawn in windows where potential burglars could see inside.
- Install timers on your lights to use when you are not home. For best results, also have a radio or TV come on with a timer, as well.
- Install a security system with or without monitoring services and be sure to put the sign in the yard
- Install bright motion-sensing lights at all of your home’s entrances.
- Install a doorbell camera (video doorbell) that links to a mobile app on your phone.
- Install security cameras outside your home.
- Install WiFi smart locks.
- Install lock status sensors on your windows.
- Set up smart lighting.
Some of these items are easy to install, and others take a bit more expertise.
Let a Handyman Service Help You Improve Your Home Security
If you need some help making sure your new security measures are installed properly, most handyman companies can help with many of these security projects.
If it involves a screwdriver, hammer, power tools, or installation, it is usually handyman’s work. When you hire a handyman to install your home security systems and measures for you, you can begin to feel more at peace that everything that is important in your life is being properly protected.
Home Security Systems
Having a home security system with a sign near your door is one of the best deterrents to break-ins. It may take a bit of getting used to your new system to be sure you learn how to arm and disarm it well. Yes, you may occasionally have a few false alarms, but it is worth that when you consider how much less likely you are to experience a burglary with one.
Home security systems often include a variety of equipment:
- The control panel
- Motion detectors inside and outside
- Door and window sensors
- Window decals and a sign for the yard
You can choose a DIY home security system that alerts you on an app when there is a problem. With these systems, someone in the home will need to call 911, the DIY system will not contact help for you.
Or you can involve a professional monitoring service that will call for help and even speak to the intruder to tell them to leave.
Each monitoring plan is different, so be sure to speak to a few carriers and find out what a long-term contract would include and what the price would be.
Your home owner’s insurance may even give you a discount if you can prove that you have a home security system in your home.
Looking for a Handyman Near You in the Columbia, SC Area?
If you need to find a handyman to help you with your home security needs, home improvement projects, or your honey-do list and you are in the Midlands of South Carolina, we are ready to assist you!